Chinese mobile phone brands led by Shenzhen-based Transsion hold firm to their places as the unrivaled market leaders in Africa’s mobile phone market, according to second-quarter data from the technology research firm IDG:
- – 64% of all smartphones sold in Africa were made by Chinese companies.
- – Transsion brands (Tecno, Itel, and Infinix) together have 47% of the smartphone market & 76% of the feature phone segment (Nokia is at just 9%).
“The competitive landscape in Africa changed with Huawei out of the top five for the first time in many years, after shipments declined due to the increased weight of U.S. sanctions on the company,” said Arnold Ponela, a senior research analyst at IDC. “Taking advantage of this situation are the Chinese vendors OPPO and Xiaomi, which both saw their share of the market increase during the first half of 2021.”
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in Africa and throughout the Global South.