Contract Worker Dies at Rio Tinto’s Simandou Iron Ore Mine in Guinea

Mining vehicles operate at the blocks three and four of the Simandou mine, one of the largest high-grade iron ore deposits, run by Rio Tinto and partners' joint venture, SimFer, in the Nzerekore Region, Guinea November 4, 2025. REUTERS/Luc Gnago/File Photo

A contract worker died following an incident at Rio Tinto’s SimFer mine at the Simandou iron ore project in Guinea, the world’s largest producer of iron ore said late on Sunday, without providing further details.

The miner said work had been suspended at the SimFer mine site after the accident on Saturday. Chief Executive Simon Trott said he will travel to Guinea this week.

  • Get a daily email packed with the latest news and analysis from Africa, Asia, and across the Global South.
  • Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China’s relations across the Global South.
  • Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in the Global South.

China, Africa and the Global South... find out what’s happening.

Subscribe today for unlimited access.

What is The China-Global South Project?

Independent

The China-Global South Project is passionately independent, non-partisan and does not advocate for any country, company or culture.

News

A carefully curated selection of the day’s most important China-Global South stories. Updated 24 hours a day by human editors. No bots, no algorithms.

Analysis

Diverse, often unconventional insights from scholars, analysts, journalists and a variety of stakeholders in the China-Global South discourse.

Networking

A unique professional network of China-Africa scholars, analysts, journalists and other practioners from around the world.