China’s outspoken ambassador to South Africa, Lin Songtian, convened a press conference on Tuesday at the embassy in Pretoria to presumably update the media about the ongoing effort to contain the spread of the Novel Coronavirus outbreak. But he didn’t reveal much new information, other than to offer reassurances to South African stakeholders that Beijing is committed to doing its best to ensure the highly contagious virus does not make it to South Africa.
Highlights from Ambassador Lin Songtian’s News Conference
- CONTAINMENT: “We try our best to defeat and contain the virus within our territory. China has taken the most comprehensive and rigorous measures to prevent and control the epidemic so as to resolutely contain the spread of the disease and defeat the virus within China. We don’t want to see it getting into Africa, including South Africa.”
- SOUTH AFRICA: “I have confidence in South Africa’s medical facilities, rapid response mechanism, professionalism and scientific response. Even if a few individual cases are found in this country, South Africa is fully prepared and capable of dealing with them. There is no need to panic.”
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in Africa and throughout the Global South.