Mobolaji Adeoye, founder of Consonance Investment Managers, is a highly-regarded early-stage investor in the African start-up sector and provided his outlook for the year ahead in the VC space that attracted $1.27 billion of venture capital investment in 2019.
Mobolaji Adeoye’s Outlook for Chinese VC Investment in Africa
- THE CHINESE PREFERENCE FOR INVESTING AMONG THEMSELVES: “Big-ticket Chinese investment is not yet reaching local founders. According to disclosed investment information, Chinese VCs still have a preference for their own, but this is likely to change once Chinese fund of funds turn their attention to Africa.”
- FROM TELECOMS TO TECH: “Chinese investment in African telecoms is nothing new: Huawei dominates the African telecom equipment market and Transsion has been selling and manufacturing mobile phones in Africa since 2008. Chinese investment in African technology, however, is a new trend.”
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in Africa and throughout the Global South.