International interest in Africa’s burgeoning fintech sector dropped considerably in the first half of the year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic but now we’re starting to see some of the first signs of interest from Chinese VCs and other investors.
Renewed Chinese Interest in the African Fintech Market
- FUTURE HUB: Transsion’s venture arm Future Hub participated in a seed round with the Kenya/Singaporean fintech start-up Wapipay, a back-end payment solution service focused on Africa-Asia transactions. This is FutureHub’s first investment in an African fintech company. (TECH IN AFRICA)
- OPERA: The popular Chinese-owned mobile browser Opera and its wide array of mobile services (OPay, ORide, OMall) positioned the company to take advantage of the burgeoning mobile payment and fintech opportunities in Africa, according to a new research note from TNG Investment Management. (SEEKING ALPHA)
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in Africa and throughout the Global South.