Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda have all announced plans to begin charging toll roads on certain expressways built with Chinese financing. The proposed fees, according to UK-based infrastructure industry publication ITS, is apparently intended to generate the necessary funds to repay Chinese lenders.
- Uganda is to introduce a road toll on the Entebbe Expressway in January 2020.
- Kenya intends to introduce tolling on the Thika Superhighway, Southern Bypass, Nairobi-Mombasa highway, JKIA-Westlands expressway and the yet-to-be-built second Nyali Bridge.
- Tanzania wants to charge a toll on the Chalinze-Morogoro road which forms part of the 921km Tanzania–Zambia highway.
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in Africa and throughout the Global South.